Thursday 5 February 2009

Hetzelsdorfer Bier

This bottle of Hetzelsdorfer Bier, a Frankisches Vollbier from Brauerei Penning in Hetzelsdorf, was given to me by a colleague who comes from that area (Hi Richard). Although it was described as a helles by said colleague, this looks so much more than that, having a beautiful, rich amber. The aroma delivers slightly sulpherous and pine resin notes with a heavy floral component to the fore. I know this is going to sound really unimaginative, but it tastes like malt. Plain and simple. It's like taking some crystal malt and chewing it. Actually, this is something I do every time I make a beer, although not as much as my son. There is a very slight roastiness to it, maybe a little like slightly overdone toast or digestive biscuits. It is sweet, but the graininess makes it feel drier. The hint of pine from the aroma also shows itself in the flavour, and the finish gives a gentle bitterness.

I was afraid the heavy floral notes would put me off, but the simplicity of the malt flavours make this quite a pleasant beer. I was wondering was it more a landbier, but who cares about boxes?

I'm heading to Turin this evening, but am returning tomorrow night (late!). How stupid am I? I should have brought the family and stayed for the weekend. That way I might have gotten time to check out a couple of the brew pubs. Next time...

3 comments:

Boak said...

We walked to Hetzelsdorf. The pub was shut.

The Manager said...

Wait a minute,,that glass, it look's..familiar

Barry M said...

Ah hahhhh! Emmm... Look, all German glasses look the same. You should know that! :D

Besides, I count this as my Beer Hall Challenge completion glass ;)