Thursday 26 February 2009

Gessner Premium Pils

Staying with the former East, here's a little pils from Privatbrauerei Gessner, their Gessner Premium Pils, brewed, according to the label, after the Thuringian style. With a faintly bready aroma, backed with a grassy and mildly spicy hop note, this pils has a soft and fullish feel. It has a strong malt backbone, leaning towards sweet, with a grassy and slightly citric hop character that lingers a short while. The sweetness sticks to the lips a bit. There's certainly more to it than the two pilsners from Feldschlößchen, but I expect it would get a tad too sweet after a skinfull. Not very pilsner-like really. I do like the label though. I'm easily pleased.

Happy birthday to my son, who is four today!

4 comments:

Thomas said...

So is this one of the better gassy lagers that torment you?

Barry M said...

Ya know, I'm pretty open to anything, and I would never use the term "lager drinker", 'cause I know there are so many wonderful lagerbiers out there. But I'm getting lost in blandness the past week or so.

The antidote was a couple of schwarzbiers, but more of that later...

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to find the markets that sell Gessner beer? I'd like to try some. Have you tried them all?

Barry M said...

Hi,

No, I haven't tried them all, and in fact I was lucky that my "brother-in-law" gave me this in a selection of eastern beers. It might be possible to ask the brewery. They could at least tell which major drink stores might stock them. I'll have a look next time I'm in Trink Gut.