Wednesday 3 March 2010

Ur Krostitzer Pilsner

Ur Krostitzer, Feinherbes Pilsner, gives a light, sweet, bready aroma with a herbal hop note. Likewise, on first taste, it provides a pleasantly sweet malts, a slightly pithy bitterness down the middle and a bitter, herbal finish with suggestions of wood. The mouthfeel is soft, and really quite dry.

At the time of making these notes I was having this at a BBQ, and it did a great job with greasy pork steaks and bratwurst. I remember being quite surprised, as I generally have a low opinion of the pils coming out of the former Eastern states. Just goes to show that you should leave your preconceptions at the door.

Not to be confused with Köstritzer (as if you would!), although the breweries are only about 65km apart, as the crow flies.

4 comments:

Bailey said...

Heh heh. I thought I'd become dyslexic when I first saw this and did, indeed, think it was somehow related to Kostritzer. Can't remember where we had it, or what we thought of it, so presumably it didn't make much of an impact. Possibly in Leipzig or Dresden?

Barry M said...

The font doesn't make it any easier :)

Yeah, around Dresden would be the right area to get this. My "brother-in-law" (I wish he'd just ask my sister-in-law and get it over with) comes from that area, so he always gathers some local treats for me whenever he's back in the old country. He'd want to, as he's the one who drank one of my bottles of Tokyo*. No, I'll never get over Macho Grande.

Chibe said...

When I was in Leipzig a couple years ago I had the Ur Krostitzer Schwarzbier and it was disappointing (though, for the record, I knew it wasn't Köstritzer). Who would have guessed their Pils would be better than their Schwarz?

Lars Marius Garshol said...

It actually took me a couple of visits to Leipzig before I could keep straight which of these was which.

The Krostitzer Pils isn't so bad, but the Zwickel they have on tap in the old city hall is much better. That's actually a really good beer. Shame about the distribution, though.