Tuesday 22 December 2009

Alba Scots Pine Ale

I really like what the Williams Brothers have been doing recently, and used to like the occasional Fraoch, but for some reason, I'd never had their Alba Scots Pine Ale. I picked up a bottle in Amsterdam after TheBeerNut looked pleased at seeing some for sale in the Cracked Kettle, and let's face it, him looking pleased at seeing a beer is usually a good sign. Usually!

This has an interesting aroma. A kind of sweet orange marmalade thing, with a hint of freshly snapped twigs, or forest floor. Perhaps that's the power of suggestion, I dunno. It opens up with juicy marmalade flavours on a toffee backdrop. Half way through, a dry, earthy, herb-like bitterness spreads across the back of the mouth while still delivering that marmalade kick, and later still, a kind of tingling numbness comes in. Maybe that's not the right way to describe it, but it's a bit like sucking clove drops, without the clove flavour, but with perhaps a touch of resin instead. The flavours just keep building up as you sip - and it is a bit of a sipper at 7.5% ABV, and with a chunky body too.

I gotta say, this is delicious. The combination of flavours blend into a wonderfully earthy taste, and it's really moreish. I'd have a couple in a row easily.

Last day at work today, and I'm looking forward to the break. We're still not sure if we'll head south to the in-laws, due to the weather, so we've bought a tree, just in case. And I'm still trying to finish my wife's present! Stupid work getting in the way...

6 comments:

BeerReviewsAndy said...

Intresting stuff, i've got a few of their beers that they very kindly sent me, can't wait to try the aged fraoch, i've been keeping an eye out for the heritage ales as they all sound pretty intresting.

Barry M said...

They certainly do! I have to keep an eye out for the Kelpie next time I'm in a decent beer shop.

I think you'll enjoy the beers they sent you!

Mark, Real-Ale-Reviews.com said...

I found the seaweed ale, Kelpie I think it's called, interesting, but it's the only heritage beer I've had from Williams. The rest of their range are excellent from Roisin through to Birds & Bees.

Looking forward to that Fraoch too Andy!

The Beer Nut said...

This beer has such memories for me but I've not tasted it in about six years. I'll be opening it in the New Year, most likely.

Leigh said...

never tried this, although I hate cloves, and can only handle a slight cloveyness in beer. Try and get your hand on some Ale Mary if you want clove overload....

Barry M said...

You should try it. I described it badly by saying it's like clove drops, but without the clove flavour. There's a slight anaesthetic-like feeling in the mouth after a bottle of it, which I associate with clove drops. Not a fan of them either really :D